Friday, January 1, 2010

A Runner's Christmas List and Going Naked....December 2009

The Runner’s Christmas List and Going Naked
OK, first the naked part.
After reading Chris McDougal’s book, “Born to Run”, about the phenomenal running tribe, the Tarahumara Indians, I have been testing a “near” barefoot running style. I found running in the glove-like Vibram Five Finger KSO’s have brought the joy of running back into my life, and the thin Vibram soles give me the confidence to tackle the pavement. But going totally barefoot?
As my wife and I headed to Connecticut on Thanksgiving morning after the Feaster Five Race, I realized I had forgotten my trusty Vibram’s, and I had no traditional running shoes either.
Friday morning I faced the choice of not running or having my feet go totally naked. It was 45 degrees, raining, and a brisk wind was blowing. So I did what you might expect.
I headed out the door for my first truly barefoot run. I decided to be conservative and not go too far. 30 minutes later I returned with an ear to ear grin. No pain, my feet weren’t cold, and the police didn’t mistake me for a confused senior who had escaped from the home not wearing his shoes!
Now that Thanksgiving has passed, many runners are preparing their Christmas list. If you’re looking for ideas for your favorite runner, I’ve prepared a Wish List that should put a smile on any runner’s face.
Winter is the runner’s off-season when we have an opportunity to cross train, and there are lots of great products to help us. When the temperature drops and the snow flies, it’s still fun to get out for a run, but it’s time to gear for that as well. From most expensive to least, here’s my top-ten list:
1. The Computrainer
This cool piece of technology allows you to use your own bike and ride like you were outdoors. It analyzes everything about your technique and provides a 3D image on your computer monitor. Cycling is one of the best cross training methods for runners and this product promises and delivers amazing results. It’s VERY expensive at $1,600, but worth every cent.

2. YMCA Membership – If you’re fortunate enough to have a YMCA as good as my Andover/North Andover YMCA, join! The programs offered in strength training will make you a better athlete and better athletes make better runners. You’ll also get to meet other folks who appreciate a healthy lifestyle who may become new friends! It’s about $50 per month.
3. Garmin Forerunner 405
This heart rate monitor tracks your distance, pace and heart rate, then wirelessly sends the data to your computer for later analysis. The Garmin® Forerunner® 405CX features heart rate-based calorie computation and comes with a second wrist band suitable for smaller wrists. Incredible technology for those who want data – lots of data. Pricey at $350, but ever runner seems to want one. .
4. P90X – A DVD based strength training program that promises to get you “ripped” in 90 days
This is not a strength training program for beginners. It’s a hard-core program that will take strong athletes to the next level with a dozen different workouts done daily for 90 days. You’ll also need to buy a pull-up bar and a set of hand weights. It’s $145, but you’ll proudly show off that new physique as you walk down the beach next summer!
5. Yak Trax – Snow and ice covered roads won’t stop you with these cool “snow tires”.
Hard core runners will get out this winter no matter how bad the road conditions, so these wire wrapped, rubber mesh add-ons to your favorite running shoes will give you great traction. At $26.99, it’s a must have for snow challenged runners.
6. Road ID – Don’t leave home without one!
In case of an emergency, having contact and critical medical info can save your life. They come as dog tags, wrist bands, or shoe attachments. It’s well worth the $25 price.
7. “Born to Run” – This should be on every runner’s book list at $14.58.

8. Number Belt – Such a simple idea that triathletes use.
Every race I ran started with the scramble to find pins to attach the number to my shirt, the struggle to pin the number on straight, and then remembering to remove the number after the race to avoid the rust spots from the forgotten pins. No more since I started using my number belt. The number snaps on the belt, it fits comfortably, and there are no pins to damage my racing singlet. At $6.50, it’s a perfect stocking stuffer.
9. Chia Seeds – Remember Chia pets?
It turns out that those little seeds pack a powerful dose of antioxidants, and when a teaspoon of seeds are added to 8 ounces of water, it makes an better hydration drink than Gatorade! A bargain at $6 per pound. This is the “magic drink” of the Tarahumara Indians.
10. Inner Peace – Free! The greatest gift running can give is the contentment that comes from doing what our bodies were meant to do. Be an athlete – get out and run.
As 2009 winds down, it is a good time for all of us to reflect upon the good fortune we have found in our lives, and to look forward to 2010 as a year filled with opportunities to try new adventures, find ways to encourage others to become fit, and to remember that we were all born to run.

No comments: